Saturday, July 12, 2008

mc day 5: first midnight ride

midnight ridazz through LA

forget posting about my regular poo poo cleanse routine, let's talk about my first midnight ride! i'm sad to say i didn't take any photos from the night, but let me me briefly describe the experience.

me and the jerm, hoe, and jeff, met up homies mike, maya, rani, jason and others at the chinatown metro spot. immediately you realize that this is more like a party than a bike ride, with people fistin beer cans left and right, maryjane in the air and some woodstock music blastin. turns out i didn't get the memo that it's tie-dyed night and a bunch of folks are rockin bright ass hippie gear. not to mention the plethora of hipsters abounding the crowd. drew was nice enough to loan out some lights to folks in need. woulda been nice to down a beer and join the crowd, but my lemonade will have to do. i dunno about my newbie ass under the influence on my first ride anyway -- i'm alreadya concerned about not crashing into people.

finally we take off in some random direction and we're off. throughout the ride, you see LA down town in the distance, goin up and down mild hills, with a sea of red lights flashin in front of you, cars honkin props to you, dudes trailin speakers on their bikes blastin goodies and oldies. i'm doin good and then i suddenly realize after goin down a hill, that no matter how hard i try to whisp my precious little legs on the pedals, folks are hella passin me by. turns out i think my automatic speed shift is not so automatic, and i feel like an incompetent rider tryin to keep up with the homies. but it's all goo d-- i def felt the love around me, folks askin me if i was cool, jerm tryin to hold on to my bike and give me a boost. def got my workout on -- altho it was weird cuz i felt i was exertin way more effort than other folks.

did a lot of stops -- some seemed longer than they needed to be. but took advantage of the stops to down some needed lemonade energy. eventually ended up on a bridge, and some weirdos started climbin up and lighting firecrackers, so our mob decided to fly solo and go back to the startin point. turns out a couple of our folks got left behind cuz of some other people crashing. took a scenic route through j-town, through olivera street and back to chinatown. i made it!

definitely wanna do it again, and def wanna make sure my gears are fully workin by then. and add beer to the equation! day 5 of cleanse done -- halfway through baby!

to capture the ride a bit better, a little doc of the midnight ridazz:


No comments: