Thursday, March 13, 2008

ROUGH DRAFT begins

so let me explain my thought process, from front to back, on why I’m up at half past midnight starting a brand new blog:

1) I felt like I needed to reinvigorate my mind with inspiring words, and opened up bell hook’s talking back – a mix of essays, autobiographical pieces that reflect on how she, as a black female who grew up in the south, among religious and traditional folks, became inspired to become a writer. and much of it reminds me of many memories growing up – my religious dad, my intuitive ability to express myself, alongside my reluctance to share those ideas aloud. and so I thought: shit, I can do the same as ms hooks! which connects to
2) this random personality test (thanks, craig) that profiled me as an idealist, a person who should become a teacher (woot!), and a great writer. which damnit, I am! but do I have anything to show of it lately (as in ever since I graduated from college, besides writing a lengthy / somewhat boring masters paper)? No. I’m also at a point where
3) I’ve just recently turned 26, haven’t really put too much thought into what significance lies behind being 26. But – I do feel at a certain point in my life where I’m becoming more comfortable calling myself a woman and feel like I need to write down what exactly that means… that is, what it means to be at this point in my life as a “woman,” a teacher, a pinay, a partner, a daughter, an auntie, a sister, a person who’s just now getting comfortable with her value system and her direction in life… and
4) I’ve started this before but [and my personality profile gets this dead on), I have a tendency to not finish things. but goddamnit, I’m committing myself to this writing in hopes that it will inspire/re-invigorate my creative self, and perhaps, inspire others too….

so why’s it called rough draft?

whenever I tell my students to write I try to tell them a few founding rules: 1) start with honesty, and everything flows from there; 2) don’t worry about perfection – writing is a process and 3) write whatever comes to mind – whatever’s stuck in that brilliant mind of yours will find its way out…

so, in heeding my own advice, I will follow the same rules: I will be as honest as possible, I will try not to be focused on impressing any of you folks out there, I’ll try ont to edit too much, and JUST WRITE. in any case, my life’s much a rough draft anyway – so many ideas stuck in this big head of mine (no pun intended fuckers) that somehow keep being blocked from actualizing… but it’s gonna happen goddamnit.

speakin of ideas, let’s brainstorm some long awaited topics that I’ve been meanin to write about:
- where I am as a teacher right now
- the effect religion has had on my life
- how mothers (i.e. mine) are undervalued
- long distance relationships!
- coming back home after college
- …

whew. it’s now 12:53. will pick a topic and write soon. very soon.


1 comment:

Paloma said...

yay! steph has entered the blogosphere! I will do my part to keep you motivated in writing... after all i've been given the name "blog nanny" haha! Love you Steph!